In 1911 Dan Groves came from Oklahoma and homesteaded on S.W. 24-57-5. He was a married man with four children, two of which were born here. John McCuen helped him build a big log house. It was a two storey one and stood many years after he was gone. Some of his children attended Fern Chapel school and one daughter, Hazel, was a permit teacher there for a while. The family left here in 1916 or '17.