When Mr. W.R. Ferguson came to this area, he saw a need for a store, so in 1911 he established a small one, on the N.W. 1/4 of Section 35, T.57, R.5, West of the 4th M. A short time later, a two-storey building, slightly larger, was built, and both buildings were utilized, resulting in approximately 1200 square feet of floor space. The upstairs of the new building was then used as a warehouse. Later in the winter of 1912, a post office was established at Ferguson's General Store. Bearing the name of the Postmaster and description of land location, the post office was named Ferguson Flats, and consequently the community became known as FERGUSON FLATS.